About Me

Oslo, Norway
Welcome to my blog! I am a wife and a Mommy of three. We have 2 daughters, Reagan and Hayden and a son, Grasyon. Here I write about our life happenings and try to capture memories the best I can. I hope this helps keep those close to us, in Texas, Iowa, Illinois, and beyond, a little more up to date while we're away. Enjoy!

Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Year Olds Wear Glasses?

Holy Moly today was a stressful day. Reagan had her first eye exam today and checking a one year olds eyes is a task itself, not to mention the amount of time it takes to do it. Her pediatrician wanted her eyes looked at because she was concerned with the alignment of her eyes. She referred me to a specialist who we saw today.

We got there, all is fine, typical waiting at the doctor's office. They called her back there, he looked at her eyes, after several different exams, said her left eye looks like it's an acquired esotropia. Basically, its where after 6mths of age and often at 2 years of age, their eyes cross for a short period of time. It is associated with excessive farsightedness, which blurs their vision. To see they have to strain to focus which causes the eyes to cross.

They put drops in each of her eyes (to dilate them), made us wait 15 minutes in the waiting room, called us back only to do it again, then we waited 20 minutes. (which was really 30 minutes, the waiting room was now full and we had been there for 2 hours, during nap time)

After looking at her eyes again he confirmed she has a slight cross eye (the left one) and she is farsighted. He said that since both are only slight she needs to wear glasses all day everyday for 2 months to help her focus without staining and hopefully it will fix it. After she is used to her glasses (which I then laughed, used to her glasses?) she is to wear a patch for 2-3hours a day. How in the WORLD am I going to get her to wear glasses? Seems almost impossible to me. How frustrated is she going to get when I force her to wear glasses and then bandage a patch, that she can't get off, on one of her eyes?

I know it's something I have to do. I mean what's 2 months if that will help her eye and her to see better? It's just the thought of having to make her do something that I know she isn't going to want to do. She doesn't understand why she is having to wear them, or that I am doing it because I love her, she just thinks it's aggravating and that I am being mean.

We are going next week to look at glasses for her. They are the ones that look like Mr. Potato Head with a string on the back. (haha, I just laughed after writing that) I have always thought little kids in glasses were adorable (and lets face it Reagan will be too) but it's definitely going to be a BIG pain and I am not guaranteeing it will be a success. All I can do is try. Wish us luck, the next few months I'll probably be blogging about the frustration of a child who refuses to wear her glasses.

Wonder what color I should pick out for her, hmmm.... decisions, decisions!


(on our way!)



























(3 hours later)

1 comment:

leeandcarriebatson.blogspot.com said...

Awwww! Reagan needs some pink plastic glasses... or maybe navy blue? She's going to be super cute in her glasses and I'll bet she'll just ignore them after as while. And I LOVE the Gymboree watermelon outfit!